Deep breaths, Yankees fans. Goooooooos-fra-baaaaa. It’s only been 15 games, but the Yankees are 5-10 and the worst team in the American League. They were swept by the Rays in The Bronx over the weekend and did not show much life against a team that has now beaten them five out of six times already.
To vent about Yankees frustrations, we bring you a new episode of the “Pinstripe Pod” with Chris Shearn and Yankees great Jeff Nelson, featuring an interview with Nellie’s old teammate, three-time World Series champion outfielder Shane Spencer.
Pinstripe Pod Opening Segment with Chris, Jeff & Jake:
- YANKEES FAN THERAPY: Dr. Brown takes Shearnie and Nellie through a therapy session after the Yankees were swept by the Rays. There is no fight in this team. Worst record in the AL at 5-10. Rays are now 5-1 against the Yankees. Aaron Hicks looks lost. Why are the Yankees not letting Michael King just start every five days? Nellie wants Aaron Boone to call team out and say they have stunk.
- JAY BRUCE RETIREMENT: A little shocking that at 34 and in middle of season, he retired. Maybe in a smaller market, he would have stuck around. Who will play first base now until Luke Voit comes back?
Shane Spencer Interview:
Yankees outfielder (1998-2002), three-time World Series champion (1998-2000)
- 1998-2000 YANKEES MEMORIES: Coming up to the team in 1998. Hitting three grand slams in September. Who was the clubhouse leader? Everybody knew their role on those teams. Game 7 in 2001 World Series, Mariano Rivera’s speech before the game, shockingly blowing the game.
- GEORGE STEINBRENNER: He demanded excellence and was a tough cookie. Even in the minor leagues, you were used to the winning mentality.
- GOING TO METS/END OF CAREER: What was difference being on Yankees and then playing for Mets in final year? Injuries didn’t allow him to play again, despite having a good season in 2004 with the Mets.
Catch up on all episodes of “Pinstripe Pod,” a New York Yankees podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Chris and Jeff on Twitter @ChrisShearnYES and @NYNellie43. New episodes of the show are released Mondays and Thursdays.