The Bears played at Wrigley Field Wednesday …the Bad News Bears, disguised as the New York Mets. Don’t show that game film to anyone who is trying to learn how to play defense or pitch. A 16-4 loss isn’t pretty, but the Mets are still 7-6 and in first place in the NL East. There’s no reason to panic because of one game in 30-degree weather in April. Everyone settle down. This isn’t the 6-11 Yankees right now.
To talk about the ugly few games in Chicago and look ahead to the five-game homestand, we bring you a new episode of the “Amazin’ But True” podcast with Nelson Figueroa and me, featuring an interview with former Met, Lenny Harris.
Amazin’ But True Podcast with Jake & Figgie:
- J.D. DAVIS/DEFENSE: Wednesday’s defensive effort was a disaster. J.D. Davis had the yips. His error let the Cubs have a monster inning. Will the defense be a problem for this team all season?
- PITCHING/OFFENSE: Why is Rob Gsellman still on the roster? He’s been consistently bad for a while. Francisco Lindor hit his first Mets homer. Figgie wants to see him have more fun out there. Michael Conforto continues to struggle mightily. Lots of overreactions from Mets fans, including Frank the Tank. Mets are in first place — no need to panic because of one awful loss.
- NELSON FIGUEROA SPANISH ACADEMY: Figgie teaches me how to say “pinch-hitter” and “a ton of errors” in Spanish.
Lenny Harris Interview:
MLB’s all-time pinch-hits leader, former Mets IF/OF (1998, 2000-2001), 18 MLB seasons
- PINCH-HITTING: How was he so successful staying ready and coming in late in games to pinch-hit and do it better than anyone?
- 2000 METS: Memories playing for that team and how good they were. Was one of the best teams he played with, led the team in stolen bases with eight.
- POST-9/11 GAME: Almost cried for nine innings, was an unbelievable night. The bus ride back to NY after the events of September 11, 2001 was silent.
Catch up on all episodes of “Amazin’ But True,” a New York Mets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Jake Brown on Twitter and Instagram @JakeBrownRadio and Nelson Figueroa @FiggieNY. New episodes are every Monday and Thursday.