Death, taxes and Edwin Diaz blowing key saves in a Mets uniform.
In his three seasons with the Mets, Diaz has caused fans anxiety and high blood pressure. He continues to blow saves when the Mets seemingly need him the most. Monday was the latest example in D.C., where he has been absolutely terrible. The Mets still won three of five to take the series, but could have got themselves within three games in the NL East. Is their still hope after a Labor Day gut punch?
To answer that, look ahead to the Marlins series and preview our Katch Astoria 9-11 fundraiser live show on Friday, we bring you a new episode of the “Amazin’ But True” podcast with me and Nelson Figueroa, featuring a chat with the executive director of Heritage Werks’ Charlie Turano to talk Mike Piazza, the post 9-11 homer and the memorabilia that comes with it.
Amazin’ But True Podcast with Jake & Figgie:
- DIAZ STRIKES AGAIN: Seventeen blown saves as he nears the end of his third season with the Mets. Diaz has been terrible. He continues to blow games when the Mets need him most and it’s impossible to trust him. When he’s on, his stuff is filthy good. When he’s not, he implodes. Should the Mets trust him being their closer in 2022? Can he rebound from back-to-back blown saves? Figgie says you have to stick with Diaz over other options like Aaron Loup, who has never closed before.
- THE GOOD: The bats have come alive. Jonathan Villar is scorching hot. Javy Baez is on a roll. Francisco Lindor is heating up. They finally scored runs in bunches over the weekend and there have been some encouraging signs. They really need a sweep of the Marlins before the Subway Series over the weekend and the tough schedule that is ahead of them.
- FUNDRAISER PODCAST: We are very excited for our live fundraiser podcast on Friday at Katch Astoria. Doors open 5pm, podcast starts 6pm. It’s $9.11 to get in and all proceeds are going to families of 9-11 and first responders. We will look back and remember the tragic events 20 years ago, pay our respects and raise money for a great cause. There will be giveaways, autographed memorabilia from Mets and Yankees and we will watch the Mets-Yankees game after the pod.
Charlie Turano Interview:
Executive Director of Heritage Werks
- MIKE PIAZZA: Been friends with Mike for a while, takes us behind the scenes of the guy off the field, Piazza being a good drummer and how big his home run was to uplift New York after 9-11.
- MEMORABILIA: Takes us through some of the cool memorabilia they have from that game and what kind of collections they have.
Catch up on all episodes of “Amazin’ But True,” a New York Mets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Jake Brown on Twitter and Instagram @JakeBrownRadio and Nelson Figueroa @FiggieNY. Follow the podcast on Twitter @AmazinButTrue. New episodes are every Monday and Thursday.