He’ll take their word for it.
The much-delayed law Mayor Bill de Blasio is banking on to stop future dangerous drivers before another child is tragically mowed down only requires the most dangerous drivers to “self-report” violations of the traffic safety laws after completing mandatory classes, The Post has learned.
Contract documents for the $2.8 million pilot program require that potential providers only “[r]e-contact class participants in order to conduct self-reporting of behaviors 1-3 months after they take the class.”
The Department of Transportation opted to only require the self-reporting even though the city bureaucracy already maintains an extensive and regularly updated database of driving scofflaws who blow past speed cameras or run red lights.
City Hall was ordered by the City Council legislation that mandated the driving courses to keep track on how many drivers commit another violation afterward as one way to track if the program is working, though the law does not specify how the DOT should collect the data.
“The city should check and not just take someone’s word for it,” said Marco Conner DiAquoi, the deputy director of Transportation Alternatives, a group that backs stricter laws on driving to boost safety for pedestrians and bikers. “It almost seems like common sense, the city has the data, they can easily match up the license plates.”
“You want to know to what extent the program works and you want the best possible data to inform that,” he added.
The law requires that drivers who blow past speed cameras in school zones five or more times in a year take dangerous driving classes. Motorist busted running red lights policed by cameras 15 or more times in a year are required to sign up as well.
De Blasio inked the legislation into law in February 2020 — but his administration only approved the contract to begin offering the classes on Tuesday, a delay of nearly 18 months.
Hizzoner attempted to blame COVID and an unnamed city contractor for the delays Thursday.
“It was one of the things that got put on hold because we did not believe we would be able to do in person classes, and because we were holding off on a number of areas of spending because we had a very very dire situation,” de Blasio said, referencing the 2020 budget crisis, which saw spending pared back from an expected $95 billion to $88 billion.
Officials at the DOT said they moved the program in-house after they failed to resolve an unspecified dispute with the initial provider, National Center for Civic Innovation, which is part of the Fund for New York.
However, contracting documents published in the City Record show officials had scheduled a Tuesday hearing to approve the $2.8 million contract with the Fund for New York, which wound run through 2023.
It was not clear if the contract was yanked before the meeting.
Pedestrian and cycling advocates have hammered Hizzoner over the holdup following the tragic hit-and-run death of a three-month old in Brooklyn. The baby’s mother was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.
Cops arrested Tyrik Mott for the deadly crash after he attempted to flee the scene by stealing another vehicle.
Mott’s Honda had been hit with 160 speeding and traffic tickets before the fatal collision, well past the thresholds for attending the class — and losing his car if he didn’t.
In response to questions from The Post, DOT officials declined to provide any additional details about the dispute with the Fund for New York or to elaborate on why they opted for self-reporting over checking existing city records of traffic violations.