Nearly a dozen people were hospitalized early Monday after a Westchester YMCA filled with chemical fumes, fire officials told The Post.
First responders called out to the “mass casualty” incident in New Rochelle were seen treating several people with oxygen outside the center just after 7:30 a.m., according to WLNY.
At least 11 people were taken to a local hospital to be treated after chlorine for the pool was mistakenly mixed with hydrochloric acid meant for cleaning, New Rochelle Fire Chief Andrew Sandor said from the scene.
“People were overcome and we had to help some of them get out of the building,” Santor said, saying that as well as breathing problems at least some also suffered skin injuries.
Witnesses told WLNY that “it felt like their lungs were on fire” as they made a “mad dash to escape the building.”
No firefighters were injured, and the building was “decontaminated and ventilated” and tested to be fully clear of dangerous fumes, the fire chief said.
“At this stage it appears to have been just an accident, nothing malicious,” he said.
Published on: Article source