Oliver Case, 29, was remanded during his appearance in Brooklyn Criminal Court late Tuesday.
He was charged with murder, attempted murder and criminal possession of a weapon, all in the second degree, according to a criminal complaint.
Limose Dort — a home-health aide from Haiti and a mother of four — was shot twice in the chest while walking home on St. Johns Place near Rochester Avenue around 8:30 p.m. on Aug. 19.
Dort was just steps away from her apartment when Case allegedly shot her while aiming for someone else.
“I think he got what he deserved,” Dort’s 24-year-old son Janse Joseph said Wednesday of Case. “My mom was innocent. I know there’s nothing I can do to bring my mom back, but the police did what they should.”
“She was a wonderful woman,” he added. “She did everything she could for her children and I’m not going to stop loving her. I’ll miss her forever. It doesn’t give me much closure [that Case was arrested] because this guy’s still alive and my mom is dead. I’m just happy that he’s not going to get to do that to somebody else.”
Janse is the youngest of his four siblings and still lives in the St. Johns Place apartment he shared with his mother. The other three live in Haiti, he said.
Janse’s fiancée Dieulande Joseph agreed that the arrest won’t ease her pain.
“That’s the only thing I need right now is her, but I lost her,” she said. “Catching the guy isn’t going to make any difference because he’s not going to die. Even though he’s behind bars, he’s still going to live, and I lose mine. That’s the difference. For justice, catching him is a good thing, but I still have a burden inside of me.”
The gunfire was aimed at a 30-year-old man with whom Case had fought earlier in the day, law-enforcement sources said Tuesday.
That man was shot in the arm and refused to cooperate with investigators.
Case claimed that his intended target “displayed a handgun,” that he fired “in self-defense” and that he “did not mean to shoot at the lady,” according to the complaint.
Case was released on parole July 28 after serving about 10 years of a 13-year sentence for attempted assault, according to official online records.
That conviction stemmed from a May 2010 incident in East Flatbush, Brooklyn, during which a 21-year-old man was shot in the leg, law-enforcement sources said.
Case was scheduled to remain on parole until July 28, 2026.
Published on: Article source