PONTIAC, Mich. — Prosecutors said the 15-year-old boy accused of killing four classmates at Oxford High School in suburban Detroit on Tuesday had planned the attack “well before the incident.”
The boy was charged as an adult on Wednesday with one count of terrorism causing death and four counts of first-degree murder, which could lead to a life sentence if convicted. He was expected to appear in court later in the day.
“I am absolutely sure after reviewing the evidence that it isn’t even a close call: It was absolutely premeditated,” said Karen D. McDonald, the Oakland County prosecutor.
Ms. McDonald said prosecutors were reviewing “a mountain of digital evidence” and were also considering charges against the boy’s parents. The authorities said previously that the suspect’s father bought the gun four days before the shooting and that the boy had apparently posted a photo of the weapon with a target on social media.
“There are facts leading up to this shooting that suggest this was not just an impulsive act,” said Ms. McDonald, who declined to provide further details.
Ms. McDonald said she decided to charge the suspect as an adult because of the severity of the crime and her belief that it was a planned attack. She declined to say whether she believed the gunman had specifically targeted the four students he killed and the seven people he injured, including a teacher.
“Charging this person as an adult is necessary to achieve justice and protect the public,” Ms. McDonald said. “Any other option would put all of us at risk of this person because they could be released and still a threat.”
Ms. McDonald, a Democrat, said she hoped that the shooting would lead to changes in Michigan’s gun laws.
“If the incident yesterday with four children being murdered and multiple kids being injured is not enough to revisit our gun laws,” she said, “I don’t know what is.”
Published on: Article source